Dollar General Penny Item Shopping List MASTER
12/6/2022: Now, updated to include Today’s Dollar General Penny Shopping list! What’s the Dollar General penny list? Read on, and join in the fun! Do you shop at Dollar General on Tuesdays? If you don’t, then you should! You’ve found our Dollar General Penny Item Master Shopping List! Because Tuesday is the day they usually have products for a PENNY! Which day of the week it is depends on holidays and other things, but typically it’s then that Dollar General has items for just a penny.
Dollar General Penny Item Master List
Be sure to check them all, since penny items may be available from past weeks! Pennies can be valid for 6 months or more, and we’ve heard of people finding pennies a few years old!
MOST CURRENT November 2022 Penny List & Markdowns
November 2022 Penny List & Markdowns
October 2022 Penny Lists
- October 25 – Penny List!
- October 18 – No New Penny List
- October 11 Penny List & Markdowns
- October 4 Penny List and Markdowns
Dollar General Penny List – September 2022
- September 27 DG Penny List & Markdowns
- September 20, Penny List & Markdowns
- Sept 13 2022 Penny List
- September 6 Penny List
2022 Penny Lists – August
- July 26 Penny List
- July 19 Penny List
- July 12 Dollar General Penny List
- July 5 Dollar General Penny List
- Tuesday, April 26 Penny List
- April 19, 2022 Penny List
- Tuesday, April 12 Penny List
- April 5, 2022 Penny List
- Tuesday, March 29, 2022 Penny List
- March 22 Penny List
- Mar. 15, 2022 Dollar General Penny List
- March 8, 2022 Penny List
- March 1, 2022 Penny List
- February 22, 2022 Penny List
- Tuesday, Feb. 15 Penny List
- February 8, 2022 Penny List
- February 1, 2022 DG Penny List
- January 25, 2022 Dollar General Penny List
- January 18 DG Penny List
Tuesday, January 11 Penny List
- January 4, Penny List
- Dec. 28 Penny List
- December 21 Penny List
- Tuesday, December 14, 2021 Penny List!
- December 7 Penny List
- November 30 Penny List
- 11/23/21 Penny List
- November 16, Tuesday Dollar General Penny List!
- Tuesday, Nov 9 Penny List
- November 2 Penny List
- Penny List for October 26
- Dollar General Penny List for October 19
- Oct 12 Penny List
- October 5, 2021 Penny List
- Sept 28 Penny List
- September 21 Penny List
- Sept 14 Penny List
- September 7 Penny List
Don’t miss our 2022 Dollar General Clearance Event Schedule! And, if you’re lucky enough to live near a store that’s planning to remodel, then you can really score! Don’t miss our tips on how to find Dollar General Remodel Clearance sales! We also have a handy chart of UPCs that you can use to quickly add to your app to stalk upcoming remodels!
- August 31 Penny List
- Tuesday, August 24 Penny List
- August 17 Penny List
- Tuesday, Aug 10, Penny List
- HEADS UP! 10/23 – 10/25 CLEARANCE SALE!
- August 3 Penny List
- Tuesday, July 27 Penny List
- Tuesday, July 20 Penny List
- July 13 Penny List
- July 6, 2021 Penny List
- June 29 Penny List
- June 22 Penny List
- Tuesday, June 15 Penny List
- June 8 Penny List
- Penny List for Tuesday, June 1
- Tuesday, May 18 Penny List
- Dollar General Penny List for Tuesday, May 11
- May 4, 2021 – Dollar General Penny List & NCI Stores Penny List
- Tues, Apr 27, 2021 – DG Penny List
- April 20, 2021 – Dollar General Penny Items
- Tuesday, April 13, 2021 – DG Penny List
- April 6, 2021 – HUGE Dollar General Penny List
- March 30, Tuesday’s Penny List and Clearance Event!
- Tuesday, March 23 Penny List
- Tues, March 16, DG Penny List
- March 9, 2021 Dollar General Penny List
- Tuesday, March 2 Penny List
- Dollar General Clearance Event (2/26 – 2/28)
- Tuesday, Feb. 23, Penny List!
- Friday, Feb. 19 – Surprise Clearance Items!
- February 2021: seasonal markdowns
- Tuesday, February 16 Penny List (2/16/21)
- Saturday, February 13, SURPRISE Penny List!
- Tuesday, February 9 (2/9) Penny List
- Friday, February 5, MEAT Penny List!
- Tuesday, Feb. 2 Penny List
- Sunday, Jan. 31 Penny list! (BONUS!)
- Friday, Jan 29 Penny list! (BONUS!)
- Tuesday, January 26, 2021 Penny List
- January 19, 2021 Penny List
- Tuesday, January 12, 2021 penny list
- January 5, NCI bonus penny list! (Home Stores)
- January 5, 2021 Dollar General Penny List
- Huge list of Surprise Pennies (1/3/21)
- 12/29 – Dollar Gen Penny List
- Huge list of Surprise Pennies! Plus 12/22 Penny List
- Tuesday, December 15, Dollar General Penny List
- December 8 Dollar General Penny List
- December 1 – Dollar General Penny List
- Nov 24 –Pennies List
- Nov 17 – Penny List
- November 10 –Penny list
- November 3 – HUGE Penny List!
- October 27 – Penny List
- Oct 20 – Penny List
- October 14 – Penny List
- Oct. 6 – DG Penny List
- September 29 – Penny List
- Sept 22 – Penny List
- September 15 – DG Penny List
- September 8 – Big Penny List!
- Sept 1 – New Penny List
- Aug 25 – no new pennies – check old lists and look for remodels!
- August 18 – HUGE Penny list!
- Aug 11 – Big list of CANDY Penny Items!
- August 4 – HUGE DG Penny list
- Jul 28 – Current Dollar General Penny List
- July 21 – Penny List
- Jul 14 – List
- July 7 – Penny List
- Jun 30 – List
- June 23 – List
- June 16 – List (HUGE!!)
- Jun 9 – List *Updated to include NCI list!*
- June 2 – List
- May 26 – List
- Tuesday, May 19 – List
- May 12 – List
- May 5 – List
- April 28 – List
- Apr 21 – List
- April 7 – List
- March 31 – List
- Mar 24 – see all previous lists, due to quarantine only previously reported items are pennies (of course, after a time penny items revert back to higher price). Stay safe!
- March 16 – Current DG Penny List
- Tues, March 10 – List
- March 3 – List
- February 25 – List
- Saturday, February 22 – Extra! Surprise Sale List
- Feb 28 – March 1 – SUPER Dollar General Biannual Clearance Sale
- Breaking News! One Manager Suggests The End of Penny Shopping at Dollar General!
- Tuesday, February 18 list
- Tuesday, February 11 list
Why we LOVE the Dollar General Penny List
Be careful, you might fill your trunk!
While some stores don’t know how to do clearance, DG is one of the best. Dollar General Penny List Items are just what they sound like, they’re marked down to only 1 cent!
What is Dollar General Penny List?
While some stores don’t know how to do clearance, DG is one of the best. Penny Items are just what they sound like, they’re marked down to only 1 cent! Keep reading to learn why they do this, and how you can find them all!
How Can You Get Products for a Penny?
Tips: Get there early! Try getting to the store right when they open on Tuesday (or whichever day it is, based on your location and whether Tuesday was a Holiday).
Don’t miss our tips on how to find a Dollar General store remodel clearance, because you could find tons of pennies!
Know Your Store Type
There are a few things you should know about finding pennies. First, know your store. There are different types of stores, for example, regular DG, NCI and DGX.
What’s a Dollar General NCI store? An NCI (non-consumable initiative) store is a home store which carries more interior decorating and decor items and not consumables such as food. They’ve honed some DG stores into home stores to carry home, domestics, housewares, party and occasion. Whereas, a DGX store which is more like a convenience store with very little home decor or clothing.
How can I tell if it’s an NCI store? To find an NCI stores in your area, tap the 3 lines on bottom right of the official DG app, select Stores, then tap Filter, select DG Finds, and Apply.
Another term you’ll hear about Dollar General, is POG which means Plan-o-Gram. This is a type of retail merchandising where they strategize the best way to display products. They develop a visual plan, called a planogram, to plan how products are placed on shelves in effort to increase sales.
Why Are Items a Penny? Is it a Clearance Sale?
Penny Items at Dollar General have either been hard to sell, are discontinued products or after Holiday close outs.
Maybe in some areas a certain product doesn’t sell. DG will mark them down in steps, all the way down to 90% off clearance.Then, if there’s any left, they discount them to a penny. But, penny items aren’t really clearance items.
Often, manufacturers will stop making a certain product. Maybe it’s Tide and they want to change the scent. Or, maybe they change the size of the product. Either way, they’ll discontinue the old version. And as a result, they’ll close them out all the way down to the 1¢ sale.
Of course, Holiday close-outs are popular in most stores. For example, after Valentine’s Day, stores close out chocolates and candy, and other holiday-themed items at a step-down sale discount. In other words, they’ll start at maybe 50% off, and after a set amount of time they’ll increase the discount to 75% off and so on. It’s at the end of those mark-downs that the penny items happen!
The reason Dollar General discounts all the way to a penny is to alert sales associates that it’s time to pull the merchandise from store shelves, to be donated to places such as Goodwill, or to be destroyed. Actually, many people report finding merchandise that has been thrown away by dumpster diving behind Dollar General stores! Of course, we’re not suggesting you actually do that.
Official Penny Items Policy
Please keep in mind that although DG clearly states in their official policy that items are to be sold, not all stores will comply. Some managers may refuse to sell penny items. We have heard reports of both. Some people are able to find penny items regularly, and some cannot find them. Some readers who work at DG or worked there in the past also shared their very different experiences with penny items.
Special thanks to Tiffany for sharing the official policy in our Facebook Group!
Per the penny policy, anything that rings up for a penny should be sold to the customer and any remaining on store shelves should be removed immediately.
How Can You Get Products for 1 cent at Dollar General?
The first rule of penny shopping at Dollar General is NEVER TALK ABOUT PENNY SHOPPING AT DOLLAR GENERAL. In other words, don’t ask the staff if there are any penny items. Don’t ask them to check in the back. And, don’t hide items before they penny so that you can buy them. Be fair and be polite.
Second, check the current list of Penny Items. Then, check older lists! Sometimes things stay a penny for a while but then go back to regular price. It pays to check!
Third, if you find penny items on the floor (in store, at DG), then take all that you want. This isn’t the time to be cordial and ‘leave some for the next guy.” While that may sound harsh, if you look at the policy you’ll understand. As soon as they know there are penny products on shelves they will go immediately to remove them. There will be no “next time.”
Fourth, if staff refuses to sell you penny items, then report it to corporate. Don’t argue or fight with staff. Couponers have already gotten a bad name with store employees by misbehaving. You win some, you lose some.
Next, learn how to read the tags at Dollar General.
- SP – Spring
- SU – Summer
- FA – Fall
- WI – Winter
- FW – Fall / Winter
- 18 – 2018
- 19 – 2019
- 20 – 2020
Finally, it’s important whether it’s a gray dot, a yellow square or a blue triangle! If noted, you’ll want to pay attention to that on the tag. Some of the markdowns will specify.
Tips for Penny Shopping
Get there early! Try getting to the store right when they open on Tuesday (or whichever day it is, based on the sale, your location and whether Tuesday was a Holiday).
Scan EVERYTHING! You can use the scanner on the free Dollar General app. Find it in the Apple App store or Google Play. TIP: Sign into your account and the scanner works better! Stores should have a free guest wifi account that you can use too. Because, internet in stores can drain your battery fast – and may not work at all because of the type of building.
If you scan something and it gets an error or says something like, “this can’t be sold at the store and to give to an associate,” then double check that you are on the correct store in the app!
If you are on the correct location (the store that you’re at), then try using the list scanner instead of the main page scanner. Find it by tapping LIST at the bottom of the app, and using the scanner there. For some reason the app has been glitching.